Friday, March 30, 2012

3 More Days Until My 21st Birthday

Holy crap, can you believe it?! I'll be turning 21 in just three days. THREE DAYS!! Yikes! I sure can't believe it. I still feel like I'm 18....but nope.....three years later and I'm basically 21 now, haha.

Today was a pretty good day. Got to help trace a laaaaarge banner for a Greenpeace campaign at their warehouse not too far from the office. Also got to paint a couple smaller banners to be shipped out to a nice handful of activists. We (the other interns and I) were pretty much helping out at the warehouse from 10 in the morning to about 1:20 in the afternoon. One awesome Greenpeacer, David Pinsky, bought pizza for everyone for lunch which was awesome and delicious.

We got back to the office at around 1:30pm, settled back down and starting calling activists for our newest toolkit for our Seafood Campaign to get Chicken of the Sea to go sustainable. It's a really exciting toolkit and one of these days I'll explain what it is. I'm actually going to write a short post about it as well as linking to it for people to download which will be posted on the official Greenpeace blog, whoo! So stay tuned for that! :D

After two hours of calling awesome activists and getting them motivated to rock the new toolkit, it was 4:30 and time to wrap up for the day. My supervisor/"boss", Jess, came over to me and asked if she could "steal me for a moment". Of course, I said yes and followed her into our main conference rooms. The first thing I saw were the cupcakes on the table, next were some of the awesome Greenepacers, and suddenly I knew what was about to happen. They started to sing Happy Birthday and it was clear at that point that Jess told everyone that my birthday was on Monday (which is something I told her a while back when I asked to have Monday off for my birthday).

It was pretty amazing and as the Happy Birthday song was being sung, more and more people sprinted to join in when they heard it. I couldn't stop smiling and laughing. It was seriously a fantastic moment and it really shows how amazing these people are. Interning here is truly an unforgettable experience.

The cupcakes were super delicious as well and we shared them among anyone who wanted a piece. The simple and brief surprise Happy Birthday event became the highlight of my day today. It left me in a really fantastic mood and just thinking about it brings a big smile to my face~

For the rest of the night, I'm just chilling in the front room of my flat, instant messaging my best friend, texting my mom, and watching a bit of the Granada series of Sherlock Holmes before popping in my Sherlock Holmes game to play~ My flatmates Rachel and Anna have some friends over. One, Corina, I know from the GP warehouse and her friend whom I briefly met earlier today; I made a better acquaintance with him not too long ago. Corina and her friend are actually leaving now so I'm going to step away from blog typing to say goodbye~

And now I'm back, but for you it's as if I didn't leave at all, ohoho~

One cool thing is that Corina made me something awesome!



It's a headband made out of a bike tube and it's just fantastically brilliant!! I've seen this before on her own head some time ago and complimented on how cool it looked. She told me what it was made out of and that she herself made. Awesome right?! Well, seems like she decided to make me one too and it sort of become a "So I heard it's your birthday soon. Happy Birthday, I made you this". I flipped out, hugged her and of course said thank you. Totally an awesome gift and I guess now I look a bit like a hippy street biker, haha! Aaah yeaaa!

But that's basically all I have to say for today. I'll be going home tomorrow morning with my big bro. Turns out mom had to have her gallbladder surgically removed some days ago and since she can't come up for my birthday, I'll be coming down to her~ I was also able to not only get Monday off work for my birthday, but also Tuesday and Wednesday just to give me some extra time to spend some time with my family at home and the later with my brother as we head back some time on Wednesday.

So this will be a fun sort of a vacation. Being so close to going home for a while made me realize just how homesick I've been without even knowing. Go figure, haha.

Anyway, time to wrap up this blog post since I've exhausted all that I could say. Time to finish watching this episode of Sherlock Holmes, pack for my trip back home, and then play some games before going to bed (it's too loud in this flat to sleep anyway, but I'm not complaining; I never mind playing video games late at night, haha).

Until the next post, folks~

~Sara

2 comments: